Terrified mums air fryer bursts into flames after she noticed strange smell

An "inferno" broke out at a retired teacher's home after she tried to cook bacon and her air fryer burst into flames.

Rebecca Sim, 52, from Greater Manchester, had a hankering for bacon, so switched on the one-year-old Tower device before noticing the smell of burning plastic, and then a flame.

The Prestwich woman quickly unplugged the device, grabbed it, and threw it out into the garden where it continued to burn.

READ MORE: Married cop fired after steamy romps with six fellow police officers uncovered

A Tower spokesperson, who said the company has launched an investigation, added "the safety of our products is of the up most importance" [sic], but Rebecca is rattled, knowing that the fire could have set the whole kitchen alight.

Rebecca, who has Multiple Sclerosis, told the Manchester Evening News: "I was really shocked.

"I bought the air fryer for my daughter Isobel when she was at Liverpool University and she would cook in it and leave it when she was washing her hair. Thank God I didn't leave it – it could have burnt the kitchen down."

Mother-of-two Rebecca added: "So many people have now got air fryers, and so many of my friends have got one.

"They all say they often leave it cooking while they go and do something."

Rebecca said the device had been 'thoroughly cleaned out' before she used it. She added: "I put some bacon in to cook.

  • Teen wrestles with monster crocodile to save sister, 9, from its jaws

"When it had nearly done I pulled out the tray to check it, it was splattering. As I was checking the tray I noticed a tiny flicker in the bottom part of the fryer. I was concerned as it didn’t look right.

"My daughters used to leave the food to cook, while they got ready. Thank God I didn’t. I noticed the flickering and a plastic smell, so I knocked the switch off with a wooden spoon, unplugged it and smothered it with a damp tea towel.

"When I removed the tea towel I saw smoke and the beginnings of what looked like flames in the base of the fryer. I have Multiple Sclerosis and I am not that fast or strong so with much difficulty I picked it up and threw it out the back door where it turned in to an inferno.

"I was just shocked – I was thinking what if that had been my daughter. I couldn't believe how quickly it burnt up and there was so much noise. It was really shocking."

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here


  • Teen mum left baby to choke to death in car while she went to motel to sleep with her ex

  • Mum slips into racy bikini set but fans question why she's always naked in snaps

  • Apple AirTag is now on sale for £29 – but could save you hundreds in lost luggage

  • Lucky lottery winner bags £84k off scratch card from Christmas stocking

Source: Read Full Article