Mum learned of sons death two days later through a text asking for funeral date

A devastated mum only found out about the death of her son after someone texted her to offer their condolences two days after he had died.

Robert Lee Wareing was found to have died in his sleep by two of his friends at a flat in Preston, Lancashire.

After an inquest into the death, details were revealed not just of Wareing's cause of death through drugs and alcohol, but also that the mum had not been immediately informed of her son's passing.

Ernie Cottam and Rollo Seagal found Wareing that night and explained he had fallen asleep at around 5.00am and went to check on him when he stopped snoring at 9.30am.

The pair said they discovered Wareing's breathing was difficult and that he then appeared blue and had stopped breathing.

It was found that Wareing was "profoundly intoxicated" with the 23-year-old said to have had alcohol and taken cocaine and heroin before falling asleep.

The toxicology tests taken in post mortem revealed fatal levels of cocaine, heroin and pregabalin, a medicine used to treat epilepsy and anxiety, in Wareing's system.

The report continued that the effects of the drugs were enhanced by the sedative's effects, with coroner Chris Long stating the report revealed a "profound intoxication" of illicit drugs.

  • Woman says she is including her ex-husband in deal to sweeten a house sale

Warein'gs mother received an apology from police officers for not being told of her son's death in an appropriate manner, with the devastated mum finding out about the death through a text message, LADBible reports.

Detective Inspector Chris Wellard said: "I can only apologise wholeheartedly for the way you found out about the death, it was my intention for you to be visited by an officer, but unfortunately Greater Manchester Police didn't visit.

"It's not appropriate to ring someone up and tell someone of their son's death, which is why we asked GMP to find an address and inform you in person. I can only apologise; I was shocked when I heard."

Wareing's mum accepted the apology and said: "I came out of work to a missed call and text, 'So sorry can you let me know when the funeral is' so for two days I had gone to work, lived my life, and my son was dead."

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

Source: Read Full Article