Fish-feeding tourists accidentally kill entire lake of fish at Brit beauty spot

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

Tourists feeding fish at a local Brit beauty spot have been blamed for killing almost all the fish in a lido.

The Ramsbottom Angling Association reported the issues at the Clarence Lido in Greater Manchester to the Environment Agency earlier this year.

They had had reports from members of an increase in dead fish all suffering from a strange bacterial infection.

READ MORE: RMT rail strike – how do I get my money back from my season ticket?

And it now turns out the issue stems from decomposing food thrown into the water by locals feeding the fish.

This, coupled with a blue-green algae, created an “ideal breeding ground” for bacteria to produce and it rendered the area uninhabitable for the fish.

According to the Environment Agency's report: “The presence of bacterial and fungal infections led to the fish being unable to heal from the damage sustained which happens when they have poor health and/or environmental conditions and this led eventually to their death.

“A substantial number of the fish that suffered were put in the Lido in 2021 and due to the conditions they encountered within the Lido, the fish were not able to adapt/acclimatise easily to their new environment and subsequently died.

“The algal bloom can cause changes in water quality such as dissolved oxygen, pH and ammonia.

  • Tourists revolted by pool of 'floating human poo' at popular beach resort

“Fish were found to have problems with their gills which is common when algae is present, and this effects the ability of the fish to absorb oxygen putting the fish in a high stress situation and contributing to their poor health.

“Fish native to the Lido and fish which have had time to adapt to the water quality are more likely to be able to survive these affects.”

The Angling Association is now working with locals to increase educational awareness about feeding fish in a “responsible way”, and are being supported by the Environment Agency and Bury Council.

The blue-green algae found in the water is also harmful to dogs, as we reported last month.

READ NEXT:

  • For more of the latest news from the world of the Daily Star, check out our homepage.
  • Workers spend just 60% of the day doing their job – thanks to 'tedious' admin

  • Millions of homeowners forget basic maintenance jobs – like regular boiler services

  • Brits are throwing a billion pounds a year down the drain – as hot water taps too hot

  • More than six in ten Brits relying on credit and finance options now more than ever

  • Animals
  • Food
  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article