Coronavirus: Australian Grand Prix is latest sporting event cancelled over outbreak
The Australian Grand Prix in Melbourne has been cancelled after a member of the McLaren team tested positive for COVID-19.
The decision was taken after a meeting between the FIA, Formula 1, race organisers and team principals.
In a joint statement, they said: “Those discussions concluded with a majority view of the teams that the race should not go ahead.
“The FIA and Formula 1, with the full support of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation have therefore taken the decision that all Formula 1 activity for the Australian Grand Prix is cancelled.”
Earlier, Victoria premier Daniel Andrews said that if the race went ahead, it would have to be behind closed doors “on health grounds”.
Other reports suggested racing teams had already left Melbourne.
F1 chiefs have already postponed next month’s Chinese Grand Prix, while next weekend’s Bahrain race is due to take place with empty grandstands.
Other sports affected by the outbreak include football, with Arsenal’s match against Brighton on Saturday postponed after the London club’s head coach, Mikel Arteta, tested positive for coronavirus.
The Premier League is now set to convene an emergency club meeting on Friday morning regarding future fixtures.
Two more tournaments on golf’s European Tour have also been cancelled, bringing the total to five.
England cricketers have been instructed not to sign autographs or pose for selfies during their Test tour of Sri Lanka.
The US NBA season has been suspended “until further notice” after an unnamed player tested positive for coronavirus.
The ATP has announced a six-week suspension of the men’s professional tennis tour due to “escalating health and safety issues” arising from the coronavirus outbreak.
Source: Read Full Article