‘Belgian Rambo’ with 10-person hit list ‘found dead after month-long manhunt’
The body of the far-right fugitive dubbed the 'Belgian Rambo' has been found, police say.
Hundreds of the country's security forces began the search for Jurgen Conings after his disappearance over a month ago.
Conings warned that he "would join the resistance and would not surrender" in a final message to authorities.
The body, which was found on Sunday (June 20) by people walking in the woods near the town of Dilsen-Stockem, is believed to belong to the criminal featured on an anti-terrorism watch list.
Conings also reportedly threatened a top virologist involved in the country's Covid-19 program and had hoarded heavy weaponry.
Initial evidence indicates that the 46-year-old killed himself, but further examination is underway, Belgian federal police said in a statement.
Before he disappeared reports say he had hidden anti-tank missile launchers and other heavy arms in an army barracks and was feared to have drawn up a hit-list of 10 potential targets.
In letters, he said he no longer wanted to live in a society ruled by “politicians and virologists” and wanted to join the "resistance".
Ghostbusting exorcist freed screaming boy, 5, from 'demons possessing him at RAF base'
Reports say his alleged 'hit list' targets include his ex-wife, her lawyer, a leading coronavirus expert, the country’s defence minister.
Belgian Prime Minister Alexander de Croo told broadcaster VTM it was "unacceptable" that Conings had been allowed to access the weapons, and Defence Minister Ludivine Dedonder said an inquiry would be launched.
Mosques in Dilsen, Bilzen, Lommel and Hulst were closed over fears they could become targets.
Get latest news headlines delivered free
Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?
We've got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.
Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They'll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.
You can sign up here – you won't regret it…
Local media reported that several had been visited by police and advised of the threat.
Investigators increased security for ten people who are believed to have been named in a "hit list" he drew up before he emptied his bank account and disappeared, the Telegraph reports.
According to the Times, the latest search came a week after a military operation involving about 600 heavily armed soldiers, including Dutch and German troops, failed to find any traces of him.
Source: Read Full Article